Monday 8 December 2014

Wednesday lectures: Hassan Khan

So throughout the semester every Wednesday we had lectures where an artist or a curator came and gave a talk about themselves and what they do. I have found some of them interesting but mostly i found interesting not in what the artists decided to show but in the way they have carried out the presentation. Some of them were formal some informal, some fun (loved how Harry Meadly was late 30 minutes and still made the lecture fun ahha), and some too collected and serious! Such a variety!

The only work so far that stood out to me the most because of my strange reaction to it, is the 6 minute video work by Hassan Khan called "Jewel"! By crazy reaction i mean uncontrollable laughter! ahah

Let me set the scene! He started the lecture in a formal way, in a serious kind of way where you were scared to even make a noise ahah and so after a while i started to think that his work will have serious themes and will be serious in nature too, reflecting him as a person! Also he had a light pointing at him and a microphone which he struggled with now and then and seemed to get annoyed with it which was quite amusing as it broke his serious attitude a bit!  So i was there in the lecture room freezing trying to make sense of him and his work, so when he introduced "Jewel" in a serious voice that you cant mess with i didn't expect it to be so bizarre! It was SO bizarre! You have to see it to feel it! Throughout the video my face was frozen on the screen, i tried to make sense of what i am watching and have just seen! ahah some people's reaction around me was similar! Because my brain couldn't think of anything in response my body decided to react in a bizarre way too ahah i started laughing! Some people were doing the same! Because the artist himself was very serious and quite boring to listen to i didn't expect the work that i have just seen, it so didn't suit him! I loved it! It was one of the videos that you look at and cant move your gaze away because it is strange and captures your attention!

I think i will remember this piece for a long time because it was so strange! Not just the piece itself but my reaction too! I am not normally like that!

Section from "Jewel"


~Ev

No comments:

Post a Comment