Monday 8 December 2014

Tony Orrico

I love Tony Orrico's performances! The repetitive process of work and the endurance that this guy goes through when making his work is admirable! I can relate to it! Its like he wants to test his limits thought the performances, because they are after a while physically tough as well as being very long and ongoing. 

Tony Orrico works on a big scale which allows his body to respond in any way he likes without worrying of running out of space or being dictated by boundaries of chosen canvas. He uses the span of his arms to produce marks which often form circles which i absolutely love and which tie in with repetition and endlessness! Tony Orrico performance 2010






For me its like he is exploring his movements and the marks he can make though them movements. He has his own pace and rhythm with which he performs, like music. Looking at his performances i realized in what direction i want my Listen project to go in. 

Because i want to lose the sense of time through repetition and process as well as expression i decided that i needed to choose a sound that i could not control or change so i can respond to it as it comes. Spontaneously. So this in mind next weekend i am going to the beach to listen to the sound of waves and birds and record myself responding to the sound by drawing on sand. Its an endless canvas that wont restrict me in my movements as paper did. I am planning to spend some time there, an hour or two to get into that state of mind where it is only me and the sea sound and my body response. Leaving out my thoughts and worries, being one with nature!

Cant wait to get started, it sounds so much fun! I just hope the weather will be on my side! 

~Ev



No comments:

Post a Comment