Friday 22 January 2016

Projecting

For the Riverside laundry intervention crit we had to experiment in the way we present our work we made so far, or considering to show in the end. I decided to show the mirrored video i have made of me unpicking the cardigan. I think it was the most decent work that i could show and that i saw was getting somewhere. 

I used a projector to project my video on to a white wall. I think it was really beneficial to have this crit and to see your work in a different setting in a more complete way than looking at it on the small screen of your laptop. It felt really good for me to see my video enlarged as this creates juxtaposition with the meticulous unpicking that i did. I think this projection worked as it was methodical and relaxing to watch, which is a good representation of how i feel during my processes. The first time i saw the projection it was mesmerizing to watch. I chose projecting my piece for a reason. I could have chosen a screen to show my work, however there is something appealing about projecting a video that is more transparent and temporary compared to a physical TV screen which is more solid. With projecting at the same time its present and not present.



While discussing and criticizing my work i had several suggestions in terms of how i can improve it. Somebody suggested to use old peoples hands in the video instead of my own. However i feel as though the whole point of unpicking was that i do it myself, like i am interacting with the memories through the threads i unpick. It is very important to me that it goes through me. Letting somebody else to do that will make it less personal to me and i am really into the process and doing it all myself.










~Ev


No comments:

Post a Comment