Thursday 5 February 2015

Metal - Edge Hill

Went to Metal which turned out to be in an old abandoned train station which i didn't expect. It was so arty inside with the mixture of old and new in the building. As a group we have an opportunity to show in the space, so we visited to see what kind of place it is and what kind of work is possible to make for the space. The theme of the project is - recycled boxes. Doesn't sound fun but i will come up with something fun and what suits me and my interests. It can be an actual box i can work with or take an idea of the box and what it means. 

While exploring the space i noticed a painted square in the middle of the room which i intuitively wanted to work with. Inside that square there were marks that i loved. But this time its not the marks that stood out to me most but my reaction to the square itself. I started walking around the perimeter of the square, just going in circle inside the square. I imagined what it would feel like to make a performance just consisting of me walking inside the square, being caged in, having a boundary, like i am in a box. Love these moments! I am thinking of also experimenting with the marks i find. I can trace them and laser-cut the shapes on plastic and maybe make them sculptural. Use the information from the space to form something else. There are a lot of things i can experiment with. I am drawn to this square i think because it gives me a boundary to work with.


No comments:

Post a Comment