Thursday 22 January 2015

Performance tryout no.1

I have made a performance piece on Tuesday to see what sort of feelings i will get from it. Will i enjoy the process of making the performance and whether i like to be part of my art. Performance required my body movements and therefore i became part of the performance, part of my art work work. This engagement with my work i love, being part of work is something special! This is not the same as the tabletop work i have been doing but still interesting to see what really attracted me to try it. 

To be honest the first tryout gave me mixed emotions. As i constantly worried how this sort of performance can be shown. Do i film it while making the performance or is this sort of performance that people need to go and see in action? There more i worked the more i thought that i prefer for people to see it in action, because showing it on video will take away the experience itself from it. I would like my audience to experience it with me while am making the performance and in that way there will also be a link with them. 

I worked with colored pastels on board with both of my hands, with repetitive movements around me. Me being the middle point. It felt a bit controlled so next time i am planning to make it even more spontaneous and maybe visually asymmetrical as symmetry adds control in a way. The symmetry was added by me repeating the movement around the board before changing to a different one. I loved how the colors looked on the board and i don't think it would have worked if i made it on paper. The color of the board gives an earthy feeling to it. However although i loved working on the board it felt quite limiting in the sense that i couldn't work outside the board and was limited to that particular board size. The end result of the piece when looking at the marks you can see that in some places you can see it being extended. Maybe i don't like limitations? Maybe because this performance required my expression of movements and the board limited me at some points. Its not like the work i tried to make at Crosby beach where i worked with endless sand! However i fell in love how layer after layer of repetitive intuitive movements worked together, forming something special. 

~Ev

No comments:

Post a Comment