Monday 27 February 2017

Triptych Show: 'BLIND' 23rd January

The show overall:
From the start I was mostly drawn to the big garage space, which for me was most interesting out of the three. It was rough and not your typical white wall clean space. There was a lot of potential to play around with the display of artwork as well as the scale of them. In the show there were quite a few big scale projections close to each other, some on the ceiling, or higher up that usual, and some were smaller. I believe scale wise they were the biggest pieces of work on display. However, the work I believe travelled furthest, would be the bags from different shops which were stitched together and created a trail around the whole of the space, which glued the whole exhibition together. 

Another piece that I liked was a big circle created on the floor with charcoal, which surrounded one of the pillars. At the set up stage it looked fantastic with plenty of room surrounding it, looking quite dominant. However, the more pieces went up on display the more the piece lost its dominance and scale, particularly after the bags were placed around it, in a way entering the big circles space. 

There was one dominating sound which added atmosphere to the whole of the space. It was coming from a projection and included metallic and robot sounds. There were also different performances, ranging from hidden performances that not necessarily involved the public to engage, to some that require audience participation. 


















'BLIND' performance:
My performance consisted of creating an experience both for myself and for the person I engaged with. At first I asked the person to lead me through the space whilst I am blindfolded. I generated questions about the space, positioning, colours, anything that comes to my mind at the time. The space being the start of the conversation, and a medium for the person to notice the smallest of things that he might not have seen before. Then we changed and the person was blindfolded whilst I walked him around the space explaining what surrounds him and explaining to the person in detail what is happening around him, how far things are, what colours, scale, people, sounds etc. Highlighting the sense and awareness of the space. Throughout the interactions I have recorded everything that has been said so I can go back and see what came out of the exchanges. The recordings act as the documentation of the piece. 

Throughout the exchange it was interesting to see how much people would trust me to guide them through the space whilst they were blindfolded, after I myself have done it. At times it worked better and at times not as good, due to the way the conversation was flowing. It was a good experiment to test out what I was actually interested in the conversation and peoples responses, so next time I would know how to guide the conversation better. 









Photographs by Sam Dobson and Shaunagh Chilton 


~ Ev

No comments:

Post a Comment