Friday 11 November 2016

Observation 1 - 12:08pm, St Johns Square, Autumn, 29th October 2016

I have recently started to record my observation in different spaces through writing, documenting what i see and what is happening around me. The sounds i hear, movements, people, small gestures, birds, etc. Observing and being fully aware of my surroundings. Being in the present moment. My inspiration came from Georges Perec and his own observations in Paris. I wrote without thinking too much about my words, for the text to be raw and honest, without anything being exaggerated. The writing became quite interesting to read as they are not long and very direct to the point. They are recordings of my own experience at that particular time and place. I think i can turn it into a performance or an audio piece. In one of my observations i was sitting on a bench next to a tree. It could be possible to create an audio piece where i can hide the audio in a tree to play for many hours on loop. People who sit down on that bench would hear the piece.




12:08pm
St Johns Square
Autumn
29th October 2016

Sitting on a bench next to a tree. There are many other
benches as this one around the square. In the middle of
the square there is a big empty space, a walk through.
People walking past in different directions.
It is cloudy, no wind, the warmest it has been for the
past couple of days.
The sound of wheels, suitcases, prams, bicycles.
Kids shouting in the background. Faint sound of music
barely noticeable.
Atmospheric.
Ever changing sounds.
The fountain on the left of me getting louder as it becomes
higher and quieter as it falls.
Calming, meditative, rhythmic.
Kids running through the fountain having a time of their life.
Wish i was a kid.
Seagulls suddenly disturbing the pleasant sounds
surrounding me.
I looked up. A blanket of small birds covering the sky,
dancing in a pattern. A hypnotic site.
A guy sitting opposite me to the right looked at me like
i was crazy. Do i look strange looking up to the sky and
enjoying my surroundings?
Oh there's a pigeon walking past my foot, a fat one.
Just noticed the leaves surrounding my bench, reminding
me that it is autumn already. Slowly falling around me.
People with headphones busy in their own world, unaware
what is around them.
Busy busy busy…
A woman walked passed with heavy groceries in both hands,
probably for halloween party that is to come.
One two
one two
one two…
A young boy has caught my eye in the middle of the
square with blue coat and blue umbrella in hand, running
around and scaring the pigeons away.
An older man with a stick just approached my bench having
a break and drinking i assume a cup of tea.
We are getting older.
Children with blue balloons, there's a lot of blue today.
A guy that looked strange at me just left.
One two
one two
one two...
Two teenage girls walked passed from behind me discussing
halloween costumes.
A bicycle drove past diagonally.
When i say square it is a square.
A man walking past
One, two
One, two
One, two…
The sound of footsteps
Another boy scaring the pigeons away
Used cigs everywhere,
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six….
A pigeon nearly landed on woman's head
Happened to me a lot
Children shouting and screaming, running and jumping
An older couple slowly walking through the square, holding hands
Time has passed, we are getting older.
Its 12:18 pm
I wonder do i look strange constantly scribbling and
looking around me?
A boy in striped jumper approximately 2 years running away
from his mum. His mum laughing and chasing after him.
Love these moments
Around 50 people in the square
A man dropped a piece of paper on purpose it seems, littering.
It is 12:33 pm
I just dropped a lid from my pen near my feet as i played with
it between my fingers
One, two
One, two
One, two…
A photographer on a mission to capture an old building on my far left,
trying to avoid people around him.
The fountain is like music, getting louder and then quieter.
Gentle, rhythmic.
Calming.
...



I am planning to do more of these observations around the city. Possible places are: St Georges Hall steps, steps of the Bombed Out Church at the end of Bold Street, Liverpool Lime Street Station. Also can try sitting in a cafe and observing people who walk past. Or could try even observing whilst on the move, on a train journey.  

~ Ev


No comments:

Post a Comment