Sunday 13 December 2015

Laundry Project,/ update

For the laundry project I started to experiment with stains on clothes, going round the boundary of the stain with stitches and in a sense capturing the stain before washing it off. Working with a trace of a person was very interesting, engaging with something that happened momentarily. I began to be too focused on a stain and perhaps started to be closed minded about other opportunities and allowing my work to evolve. These are some of the images of work I did where I engaged with stains on clothes.
 
 

Pair of jeans with dirt stains, perhaps
by walking in the mud in the park


A woman's shirt with green stains,
possibly a green marker? 

 
Perhaps I should have not cut out the rest of the clothes out around the circle but left the whole piece of clothing intact for people to understand what it is. With the embroidery hoop around the spot which I worked with it looks crafty and the hoop acts as a boundary which I don't like.
 
Later I found a tea stained tablecloth which I also started to stitch but in a different way, experimenting with colour and stitches. Something about stitching became very appealing I think this is because it is very time consuming and completely different with the sudden stains that I engage with. By spending time on the stains they become meaningful in a way.
 

 
For some reason I could not get away from stitching stains, I felt addicted every time I saw a new stain on fabric. I even found an old dustsheet with paint stains on that I started to work on also.
 
 



 
 
 Again everything that I tried was with the stains and slowly I began to realize that I need to keep an open mind and try and do something else. For example I forgot that I was interested in stories, whether it be the stains or the sentimental things that are very important to the owner. 
 
 
Consider:
-capturing moments in a different way
-Recording stories
-taking clothes apart
stitching into water soluble fabric?
 
~Ev

No comments:

Post a Comment