Tuesday 20 October 2015

Jackson Pollock: Blind Spots | Tate

Earlier this year I wrote an essay on Jackson Pollock so I was really happy when Tate Liverpool opened an exhibition showing some of is work. I visited it 3 times! Here's a link to Tale Liverpool about the exhibition!
Jackson Pollock (1912-1956) is one of the starters of radical painting who was considered to be an “action painter” at the time because you could imagine quite visually the actions that went into the making of his painting. Therefore by pouring paint onto canvas in an act of expression, Pollock broke away the anatomical connection that had traditionally linked the artists hand, brush and canvas. He uses the brush and paint to make lines so you could say he is drawing with paint.





Jackson Pollock who was part of Abstract Expressionist movement stood out from his contemporaries due to his original approach to painting. There were two major differences in Pollock's approach to his art compared to other artists of his time. The first major difference was that Jackson painted on the floor. The second difference was that he used a stick instead of a brush.


I love his approach, it makes people engage with the painting more on a physical level as we can see looking at the paintings the movements that he went though. The actions he took to paint I consider quite per formative and repetitive and meditative. The simplicity of action and the intensity of the paintings is beautiful!


Because of Pollock's unique approach to painting I was a bit put off the protectiveness of the paintings in the exhibition and the way they were displayed although I know it was done to preserve and protect the pieces. For me Jackson Pollock's paintings should have been displayed on the floor as I believe the nature of Jacksons approach asks for that. I think we as an audience would engage with his work more, ad the processes and movements that the artist wet through. Being on the wall framed they give a different meaning to the paintings. On the wall and behind a screen they look uninviting and unapproachable. I think art should be approached easily and engaged with. If work was on floor we could have walked around the painting the way Pollock was creating it, retracing his steps, experiencing the painting in his shoes and from his point of view.

However I know that it is important for pieces to be preserved although I don't understand that as my work is temporary and I see nothing wrong in natural destruction of the work. For me it is important to stay true to the work and its nature.

~Ev

No comments:

Post a Comment