Wednesday 12 August 2015

Interior Design course!

I have recently started an online course in Interior Design. I have been considering doing something like this for a year now but this time it felt right, especially when i can see links between my fine art practise and interior design. 

For nearly two months now i have been dedicating my time to interior design, reading history of architecture as well as different types of design and its elements and principles. I have been very enjoying myself and i hope the knowledge that i am gaining from this course will feed into my fine art practise. 

Throughout the first year of university and the foundation final piece the year before, i became more and more aware being drawn to walls and floors of the space and physically engaging with it. I look at the space and make art for that particular space and it only meant to belong in that space. I don't bring anything new but work with what is already there in the space. For example, in the foundation year of fine art my final piece consisted of me working with the floor of the studio, physically engaging with the marks and stains on it. Throughout uni too it was more about the space and the process.  I was playing around in the studios rather than creating something new, i made sure it fit the space. For the solo show in May it was also site specific with me going round the imperfection on the wall with a UV pen and bringing them forward.

I enjoy both fine art and interior design at the moment, however both practises are very different from each other. One requires more control and rules and in the other you can do anything. I guess i need to find that middle. 

From now on i will be blogging about both my uni experiences and the interior design course.

Lets see what comes out of this experience!

~ Ev

No comments:

Post a Comment